Thursday, July 10, 2008

A day with the Amish

Today Sam & J.J. took me Shipshewana Indiana to Amish country. Our first stop was an antique store but it was more like a museum. Dad would have loved the place they had antique toys, tools, maps, furniture, and fifties memorabilia.
Next we went to this museum called men-heof. It wasn't that expensive but Sam didn't really want to walk around that much and the guys thought it was lame. So I just bought a Amish cookbook and I can't wait to try it out it has cool recipes like chicken pot pie and Amish bread and shoflypie one of Jay's favorite.
We next went to some markets and Andy's favorite store was the candy store and mine was all the beautiful quilts. very nice but too expensive to buy.
I also enjoyed all the farms and horses and buggies and all the people, there life seem so quaint and I like how there life is so simple and good.
I enjoyed my day out!

2 comments:

Tulabell said...

I would love to vist Amish country!!!

Anonymous said...

This is Uncle Richard. All of the Riehles are descended from Amish. The Amish version of the name is Riehl. My grandfather, Jacob Smith Riehl added the "e" to the end of the name. Whenever you see an Amish person with the surname Riehl, you are looking at a distant cousin. On this leg of the family we are descended from Ludwig (Lewis) Riehl, John Riehl, Elias Riehl, Joel Riehl, Jacob Smith Riehl(e), Richard Dale Riehle. Your father, my brother, is the son of from Richard Dale Riehle.